What advice would you give to a designer looking to set up their own business?
My top five bits of advice, in no particular order:
- Be nosy: visit anyone and everyone you can to seek advice.
- Surround yourself with great people. Employ and collaborate with the best.
- Don’t think you have to know it all; there is great professional training out there. Keep learning, always.
- Don’t be afraid to say “no”. Your early projects will define your direction for the following years. Don’t waste energy on projects that are the wrong fit. Equally you may sometimes need to do work for love, not money, in order to build your portfolio and network.
- The industry is small. Remember that. Be nice.
Heidi Lightfoot, creative director and founder, Together Design
Here’s the full story